We offer the following services at Little Goody New Shoes:
- Free checking, measuring and fitting by a qualified fitter
- High quality brands stocked
- School shoes all year round
- A photo booklet provided with all first shoes
- Gift vouchers
- Voucher saving scheme. See FAQ’s
- All children get a little treat as a reward for their trip to our shop
- Relaxed environment for children and adults
- Personal, friendly service
- We have shoe recycling bin in the shop for you to leave any old shoes after your child has been fitted with new ones or to bring any old or unwanted shoes in anytime
When do I need to buy my child's first pair of shoes?
We recommend that you buy your child's first pair of shoes when they are walking confidently and are ready to walk outdoors. While your child is learning to walk, let them walk around the house in bare feet. This enables their feet to develop without any restriction from shoes or socks. Your child's balance and co-ordination will be better if they can feel the ground directly beneath their bare feet.
Why do I need to have shoes fitted?
We have trained fitters who have studied the anatomy of the feet, how shoes are made and how to fit shoes correctly. This high level of understanding ensures that your child has the correct size and style of shoes for them.
Infants' feet can easily become misshapen without you noticing and without the child feeling any pain. It is not until between the ages of 14 and 16 that children’s feet become fully formed. Until then, they can be harmed by poorly fitted or ill-fitting shoes. Shoes that don’t fit properly can prevent natural growth, could cause discomfort and may lead to health problems in later life. Badly fitting shoes can adversely affect your child’s walking development, posture and general health. This makes it extremely important that you ensure that you give your child the best possible start in life by providing them with correctly fitted shoes by a trained professional.
Why shouldn't I buy second hand or use an older sibling's pair?
Allowing your child to wear second hand shoes or shoes from an older sibling may cause problems. Even though these shoes may appear to be in good condition, they have already been moulded to the very individual shape of another child's foot. This means that they will not give the correct support that your child needs.
How often do I need to bring my child to have their feet measured?
As your child's feet can grow very quickly - up to 2 shoe sizes per year - we recommend that you bring them to be measured every 6-8 weeks until they are 4 years old. From the age of 4, we recommend that you bring them every 3 months. Shoes that are too small and / or too tight could cause problems with the future health of your child's feet.
Is there any way that you could help me with the cost of buying my child's shoes?
At times, children's feet grow faster than budgets allow. For this reason, Little Goody New Shoes has a service that can help you. Our Voucher Saving Scheme is a similar to a savings account. When you feel that you are able to, simply call into the shop and add some funds to your account by paying any amount. The next time that your child needs a pair of shoes, just use the funds that you have accumulated towards your new purchase. It's that easy. Call into the shop and our staff will be happy to give you more details.
How do I take care of my children's shoes?
Please visit the Shoe Care page of our website.
Why shouldn't I buy my child's shoes from the internet?
Buying from the internet could mean that the shoes are the wrong size and / or fitting, which may mean that the shoes do not give the correct support. It is essential that you have your child's feet measured by a trained professional to ensure that the shoes give the correct support for your growing child's feet.
Are gift vouchers available?
Yes. We have gift vouchers to the value of £5, £10 and £20.
I'm worried that my child' will be upset at their first shoe fitting. How can you help?
We have a few helpful tips for this situation:
- Try to avoid Saturday as this is usually the busiest day. Weekdays will be quieter, which may be better for your child's first experience.
- We have lots of toys for your child to play with, which include shoes so that they can practice tying laces
- All children get a little treat as a reward for their trip to the shoe shop
- Our trained staff are used to dealing with children. We will take things slowly. If your child is upset, we may need to stop and try again another day. We do not believe in forcing a child to be measured or fitted.
Can I buy shoes from you to be delivered to me?
As I have learned in my training with the Society of Shoe Fitters, it is strongly advised against to sell children's shoes without fitting them to that child. Poorly fitting shoes can cause lots of health problems and so I always recommend you visit you nearest retailer to be professionally measured and fitted by a qualified fitter.
64 Bridge Street